My grandma Lucy was the queen of sugar cookies. At Christmas she would make hundreds of thin crispy santas, bells and candy canes. I took for granted that each one was hand cut and ate them like crazy… but seriously what a job! hundreds! I dont know how she had the time. She had a job AND had 9 kids. Amazing. Her cookies were kinda like heaven.
And naturally, she used pure butter and glazed them with a sweet egg wash. The old fashioned way.
When we got our firsts requests for gluten free and vegan sugar cookies, my daughter was loving those soft cakey cookies from the grocery store. Yuck. But with that in mind, I created something similar at the bakery. We started out with a soft chewy sugar cookie. They were awesome, but I was missing my grandma’s thin crisps. So I tweaked the flour blend (gasp!) to take away the chewy and leave only crisp!
Crispy Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
- 2 sticks Organic Vegan Butter (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup Organic Sorghum Flour
- 3/4 cup Organic Brown Rice Flour
- 3/4 cup White Rice Flour
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 TBL Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Good quality Madagascar Vanilla
- Cream together Vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to whipped butter. Combine until just blended. Add Vanilla and Maple syrup, mix until a ball of dough is created.
- wrap dough in plastic or waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350Pull dough from fridge and let sit at room temp for 10 min. Roll out in small batches to a 1/4" thickness and cut with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. Cookies will will become lightly browned on the edges.