Welcome to the bread class!
If you are here, you’ve have probably bought our new home bread kit and want some extra instructions and tips!
Celine’s Gluten Free Bread Loaf
- 18 oz warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil or canola
- 1/2 ounce active dry yeast (use entire packet provided)
- Karma Baker’s Bread Flour mix, entire bag (3 cups)
- In a stand mixer bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water (105-115);
- let the mixture stand until bubbles form on surface. 5 min
- Stir oil and flour blend into yeast mixture.
- Using a paddle beater on low on your stand mixer, (setting 2-3) until smooth. Beat about 3 minutes.
- DO NOT knead this dough. It will be like thick batter. And very sticky.
- Grease a spatula and empty batter into a greased 10×5-in. loaf pan. Scraping the bowl to get it all out. With greased hands or the spatula, spread dough smoothly and evenly into the loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until just about doubled, about 15-25 minutes. (SEE TIP BELOW – I like an empty microwave)
- Dough should rise to about a ½” above the pan’s top edge.
- Bake at 375° for about 60 minutes. Crust should be dark golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Allow to cool in pan for 20 minutes. Then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Allow the loaf to cool for 4 hours before cutting. If not, bread will seem gummy or not cooked through, this will settle once it has cooled completely.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Be careful that your water isn’t too hot when proofing yeast. I mix 1 part boiling water with 1 part cold refrigerated water to get 110 degree water. THEN add the sugar to dissolve and then the yeast.
- To create your own proofing oven, boil a bowl of water in your microwave for 5 minutes. Remove the bowl and use your empty microwave as a warm air tight place to let your bread dough rise.
- Baking times will vary at higher altitudes.
For best slicing tips: let the loaf cool 5 hours, or set in the freezer for 20 minutes, to get the best cleanest slices. Bread will keep soft on the counter, sealed for a few days. Freeze for 2 months.
You may also freeze the bread and warm up each slice as you desire – keeps weeks in the freezer.
If you haven’t bought our bread mix yet, you can here. And if you’re wondering why there’s no recipe for the mix itself, it’s because these flours we use are not available to the public. The are only sold to larger commercial and manufacturing kitchens. We promise we aren’t just being greedy, lol.
As with everything about Karma Baker, we are here to help. We want to bring the best food to those that need vegan and gluten free. We want to change the way people think about eating gluten or dairy and egg free. Many have a bad taste in their mouths (literally!) and we are here to give them a corrective experience.
We bake with love and intention everyday.
Karma Baker's Bread at home.
- 18 oz warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 TBL cane sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil canola oil is ok too
- 1/2 oz instant yeast we love Lasaffre SAF-instant Red
- 3 cups Karma Baker Bread Flour Mix use the entire bag provided
- In a stand mixer bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 18 oz of warm water (105-115);
- Let the mixture stand until bubbles form on the surface. About 5 min.
- Stir the oil and flour blend into the yeast mixture.Using a paddle beater, beat on low speed using your stand mixer, (I like using setting 2-3) until smooth. Beat about 3 minutes.DO NOT knead this dough. It will be very sticky, like thick pancake batter.
- Grease a silicon spatula and empty the batter into a greased 10" x 5" loaf pan. Scraping the bowl to get it all out. With greased hands or the spatula, spread dough smoothly and evenly into the bottom of the loaf pan.Cover and let rise in a warm place until just about doubled, about 15-25 minutes. (SEE TIP BELOW – I like an empty microwave)Dough should rise to about a ½” above the pan’s top edge.
- Bake at 375° until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped, 60 minutes. Remove from pan to cool on wire rack.