If you love to bake and want to make your own pies this year, here’s the recipe you need!
there are so many recipes out there. Most have amazing pictures and the recipes just don’t measure up.
I know I’ve been sucked into a pretty picture or 2 just to have a total recipe fail on my hands.
It’s because we trust that bloggers will only share a 100% vetted recipe. But they don’t. They want to get your attention and clicks and SEO rating (notice that you have to scroll for MINUTES to actually GET to a recipe???)
Well I hate that and I won’t make you do it.
here’s my pumpkin pie recipe. It’s based on my grandma Lucy’s recipe. Which is probably based on the Libby’s pumpkin can recipe. lol. All I know is, it means childhood to me.
And pies aren’t complete without whipped cream. Here’s my method and super easy recipe. Be sure to chill that can of coconut cream as long as you can. Seriously a week is best!
Celine's Perfect Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cups Karma Baker Organic Gluten Free Flour (or your own GF flour blend) -results will definitely vary tho
- 6 TBL Organic Palm Shortening
- 1 1/2 TBL Organic Vegan Butter
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 3-5 TBL Ice Water
- Ice Water
- Chop the vegan butter into small cubes and freeze about 20 minutes.Measure out palm shortening and also store in the freezer until ready to use. Measure out your dry ingredients. And prepare a glass of ice water to measure out of as needed.
- Using a food processor, pulse the dry ingredients with the fats for 10 seconds at a time, until it resembles wet sand. Add the ice water 1 TBL at a time and pulse until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix. You may not need all of the water. It depends on the weather. Dryer days need more water. Humid days... less.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Roll out as you like. A little tapioca starch on the rolling pin is always helpful. Enjoy! Please leave feedback and comments with your results! In Good Karma, Celine
Celine's Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
- 2 3/4 Cups Organic Pumpkin Puree 2 cans
- 1 1/4 Cups Organic Raw Cashews soaked in hot water for 2 hours
- 1/4 Cups Organic Coconut Cream liquid poured off
- 1/3 Cups Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground All Spice
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbl Arrowroot Powder
- Preheat oven to 350. Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend for 3 minutes until smooth. Pour into 2 9" deep dish raw pies shells. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until top is slightly golden and pies are just set. Allow to cool 2 hours before setting in fridge. Store pies sealed in the refrigerator up to a week. Or freeze for 1 month.
Vegan Whipped Cream
- 1 15 oz can Coconut milk
- 2 TBL Organic Evaporated Cane Juice Or 1/2 tsp stevia
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. If you can the time, a week ahead is best.
- To make whipped cream: Open the can of coconut milk UPSIDE DOWN and pour off the liquid into a separate container.
- Put the solid cream into a deep mixing bowl and whip for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until peaks form. If the cream is too thick, add a tablespoon of coconut liquid at a time to loosen it and allow for thick billowy peaks.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator covered, for up to a week.